It is nearing that time again – examinations! Have a look at our Tweets on Twitter for helpful revision tips.
We engaged the services of Essential Psychology to carry out assessments for some of our pupils in support of applications for access arrangements. The psychologist assigned to us was Dr Jo Davies, who was very proactive in providing us with the necessary documentation for the pupils that needed to be completed in advance of the visit. Dr Davies liaised closely with us to arrange the itinerary for the day of her visit, which subsequently ran very smoothly indeed. The pupils concerned were immediately put at ease and found the process a very positive experience. Dr Davies also offered advice on the JCQ application procedure and completed Section C of the relevant Form 8 for each of our pupils. These were promised within a week of the visit, but actually arrived in less than 48 hours which was much appreciated.
Overall we found the service that we received from Essential Psychology and Dr Davies in particular to be absolutely first rate. We would have no hesitation in calling upon their services again in the future and would thoroughly recommend them to other educational institutions.
Whilst we are not experts, here at Essential Psychology we have a lot of experience having completed a significant number of assessments and as such, we hope you find the following hints helpful:
- Always check closing dates for submissions; for Summer 17 examinations it is currently 21st February 2017.
- Ensure you know what access arrangements pupils require as this will guide the Educational Psychologist or Specialist Teacher’s assessment; what is the pupil’s need(s)?
- Always gain the pupil’s views about adjustments/adaptations.
- Gather your evidence early. Demonstrating the normal way of working is often sufficient to secure concessions such as the use of a laptop or coloured overlays.
- For pupils with an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) or a Statement of Special Educational Needs (SEN) relating to their secondary education a Form 8 is not always required however, schools will be required to evidence ‘picture of need’.
- Pupils with diagnoses such as Autistic Spectrum Disorder or ADHD, may not need further assessment for certain access arrangements like rest breaks or a Prompt; again, a Form 8 may not be required.
- You can now submit requests for pupils in Year 9 that are valid through Years 10 and 11. Pupils moving from Year 11 to Year 12 in the same school, or a linked college, may not require further assessment. However, a resubmission must be evidenced and processed.
- Please note the Joint Council for Qualifications’ guidance and Form 8 can change annually. These are at www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/access-arrangements-and-special-consideration/regulations-and-guidance
We hope these tips prove useful. Please remember to check the guidelines every year and gather your evidence early to allow for adjustments and the implementation of any agreed access arrangements.
For further information or if you would like to discuss any assessments, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Mrs. Jo Bartholomew and Dr. Jo Davies
Essential Psychology is now open following the Christmas break.
Please do not hesitate to contact us for more information about our services.
I have received the report today and both my parents and I are very happy with the result. I cannot thank you (Jo Bartholomew) enough for your help and detailed report. Hopefully, on returning to university with some of your suggested strategies put in place, I will be able to succeed without doubting my intellectual ability throughout my study.
Essential Psychology will be closed from Friday 16th December until Tuesday 3rd January 2017; we will respond to any enquiries upon our return.
May we also take this opportunity to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
We were pleased to attend the Bond Solon Expert Witness conference in London – very informative and inspiring.
Please contact us to find out more about our latest fees and offers.
As we approach the end of the summer holidays, why not contact us to see how we can help your child fulfil his or her potential in school?
Essential Psychology is now open following our summer closure.
Please contact us for more information about our current services and fees.
We will be closed from 22nd July until 8th August. We will respond to any queries upon our return.
I would like to thank Jo Bartholomew for assessing my child. Jo Bartholomew carried out a thorough assessment with my child, myself and in school. She was friendly and professional, and managed to gather information that I could not. Jo Bartholomew understood my child perfectly. This has been a huge help and a massive step forward for me in helping my child to progress. Without this assessment, I would still be struggling to understand my child’s difficulties and how to best help him.
I would definitely recommend Dr. Jo Davies/ Essential Psychology. Dr Jo Davies was extremely professional, friendly and very kind answering all my questions regarding my son’s assessment and explaining everything beforehand in detail.She was very careful in her observations and we had an in depth report and meeting about what she had observed and results from the assessment, with recommendations for which areas we should look at further with the school. Dr Davies was happy to work with both myself and my son’s Class Teacher and we were able to work together to get the best outcome.
Please contact us for details of our current fees and offers on firstname.lastname@example.org
This was the first time I have used Essential Psychology and found them very understanding of my client’s needs. My client has behavioural problems, which was not a problem and they understood it may be very difficult to get her to attend the assessment and engage. Dr. Jo Davies was very flexible and took this into consideration when arranging the assessment visit and if she had to rearrange this would be fine. Dr. Davies’ approach with my client was excellent and she managed to get her to engage in a full assessment which surprised us all due to my client’s reluctance to interact with people she doesn’t know.
I would certainly use Essential Psychology again and not only for assessment but for 1-1 work, if required.
Please contact us for details of our current fees and offers.
With exams approaching in the next few months, why not contact us for information on the assessments we can provide to support requests for exam concessions, such as extra time?
We are able to offer this service to individuals, schools and colleges.
Happy New Year!
Please contact us to find out more about our current services and costs.